Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day - Changes


I spent Labor Day, like many Labor Days, in Enid Oklahoma. My parents' families both live in Enid and so I try to at least make the trip 2 times a year so I can see grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. This trip was a little bit harder than trips in the past. The travel is 6 -6 1/2 hours and that doesn't bother me but it was the first trip back to Enid since my Grandma past away. When traveling down I-40 I started thinking about the last Labor Day and how Stephanie and the girls and I went to Enid and spent the day with my Grandma cutting her hair, playing dominoes, and laughing. David and I went to see my Grandpa in the same room that they lived in at their retirement home and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I walked to the door and noticed the name still on the label and as I went to the elevator I became this silly baby who was tearing up over an empty elevator that we had taken with Grandma many times before. The part that was the hardest for me to stand was leaving my Grandpa in the room, as he set in the chair next to an empty one.


This trip made me realize the value of family and living life to the fullest. My Grandpa loved my Grandma with everything and it's so apparent to see that since she is gone. We told stories about her and his face continuously shined when thinking about her. This trip was unlike any trip for me because I truly think that I learned a lot from it and so did David. I only wish that I could live closer to my Grandpa and other Grandma so I could check on them daily.


One thing that caught my attention when we were traveling was a song by Austin's Bridge that sums up life. It's called Life's Too Short, here is the chorus:


Life's too short,

Time gets lost along the way,

Too soon your tomorrow turns into yesterday,

I know that your weary but believe me when I say,

Life's too short.

Stephanie, Grandma and I Labor Day 2009 (Stephanie's Camera always has the wrong date)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry your weekend was a bit emotional. When you talked about leaving your grandfather there by himself...that is just rough. Hang on to what you've learned through this and NEVER let daily life rob you of it. Love you Brooke!

    ReplyDelete