Sunday, April 21, 2013

Anna Kate's Birth Story

This has been a long time coming. Before I forget all the details I wanted to write Anna Kate's Birth Story.
 
It all begins when we went in for our last appointment to the doctor's office. Dr. Kileen checked me on Tuesday and said that I hadn't progressed at all but I was losing fluid and my placenta was getting calcified. Since he was nervous about me getting worse, if I didn't go into labor on my own, I was scheduled to be in the hospital on Friday night, November 30th to start a process that would hopefully soften what needed to be soften and with the hopes of being able to have a baby within 24 hours.
 
David and I went to McAlister's that night around 5 because we were suppose  to check into the hospital at 6 that night. I remember thinking order something that you wouldn't mind seeing again, so Mexican food was out of the question. Little did I know how thankful I would be later for a bland baked potato and water.
 
We got to the hospital and David walked me to the fourth floor. We kept talking about how it would be our last time as a couple and the next time we left the hospital we would be parents. It seemed like the walk to the room took forever. Once I got in the room David went back to the car to get all our stuff. We were so stupid! We thought we would watch a movie, I brought a craft, we both brought IPads to play Words with Friends, and we were going to have a great time hanging out. As he left the room and I was instructed to change my clothes to get the show on the road, I just remembering taking everything in. I kept thinking that the next hours would be the most painful hours of my life and the best hours of my life. I started doubting myself some about being a mom and worried that I wouldn't be able to do this huge thing called Labor. I also kept thinking to myself about how my world would change and that I was getting exactly what I hoped for and prayed for all my life. I was getting my girl, I was going to become a Mommy.
 
David got back to the room, what seemed like an eternity and the nurses came in to check me and get my IV started. The first nurse we had was getting off at 7 and so she was going through everything that was going to take place. To my shock I was at a 1 and 70% effaced when she checked me. I got on the monitor and was told how to see when a contraction was coming. I realized I had been having them all day and didn't know. Another nurse came in and they went to start my IV. This was the one thing I was most nervous about. This was the worst pain I felt that night! After the IV started I was given the medicine to help my cervix soften. After 2-3 hours with this in I was progressing on my own and they took it out since I was at a 4 by myself.
 
 
I watched a comedian named Tim Hawkins and it was a great stress relief. About 40 minutes into the show my contractions were getting worse and worse. A new nurse was on duty at this point and I wanted to see what my options were with pain. I knew I didn't want an epidural yet, because I thought once it wore off it was gone, she talked about some pain meds they could give but she said that it made you feel like you were super drunk and out of it. I knew this wasn't an option for me but an hour later it became one. I asked the nurse for that horrible drug later that night, before the whole medicine was put in my IV, David said I was slurring my words and was totally out of it. Worst decision I made! I felt like I was continually leaning and I was dizzy as could be. Things are foggy when I recall this part, but I remember asking David to get the nurse. I remember saying that I felt horrible and I needed something else because it hadn't helped with the pain it just made me feel drugged. As we were talking about getting a benadryl, I remember seeing a blue bag and asking for one. After using one, I managed to fill another! Thank you McAlisters!
 
 
I still was unable to rest. I tried to be quiet for David as he slept, but I finally couldn't take the pain. I don't remember if I was at a 7 by now but I know I went from a 4-7 within a matter of an hour. I asked for the epidural and by this time I had a new nurse. To this day I don't remember anything about this women, she was one of David's favorite nurses, but my happy juice kept me from remembering these hours. I remember the man coming in to give me my epidural. I remember sitting up, not on my own, I couldn't tell you where David was. I know he was in the room and the nurse was there who still to this day looks like a blur to me. The anesthesiologist asked David and I were we worked. I thought I answered back promptly but David states that 5 minutes after he asked and while they were discussing other matters I told everyone that I worked from home. I remember thinking that the needle would hurt, but honestly I was going in and out of life at this point. The next few hours were heaven, I don't remember anything and probably couldn't have told you my name at this point.
 
I woke up in the morning to my family being there. Apparently David thought I was progressing fast so he called all the family and my family arrived in between 5-6. Group by group they came in to see me, helping me with my make-up (I was not going to go without it).
 
By this time the nurse we requested and wanted Juliana was here! Yeah! My doctor came to see me and was shocked that I had progressed on my own, going from nothing to a baby time by the time he saw me. He broke my water and left for more rounds. At this point I was very uncomfortable. My nurse checked me and I was at a ten, but Anna Kate was too high to push. I had to lay on a big ball/pill looking object, and it was so uncomfortable. I looked at David and told him she needed to come out, I'm in too much pain. David was getting nervous. He kept it together well, but I could tell it was a lot. He was so supportive and I have never heard him call me Babe as much as he did on this day.
 
I started to push with Juliana and after about the 2nd push, I was put on oxygen. After about the 5th set of pushes Juliana asked David to push the call button. Calmly she asked the nurse in the front to page Dr. Kileen and NICU friends. My heart dropped. I looked at David and I could tell the worry in his face. What seemed like forever and about 15-20 minutes later my doctor arrived. As soon as he saw me he was concerned. He began cutting 4 times and had me do 2 sets of hard pushes. By the second set her head was out and her body followed.
 
At 11:10 a.m. on December 1, 2012 my beautiful Anna Kate Green was born!
 
They placed her on my chest, but told me they would have to clean her up and immediately take her away. She would spend her first 4-5 hours of life away from us under oxygen. While away they pumped 64 ml of fluid out of her. Later that evening she would choke on us in the hospital and they would pump 50 ml of fluid and 10 of air out of her again. Our nurse told us in all of her 17 years of working with babies that was the most she had ever see. This caused her to have tummy issues for the first few weeks of life.
 
I didn't know what would take place the day we were in the hospital. I didn't know what to expect giving birth and how I would feel. I'm so blessed that God chose me to have a baby and be a Mom. I'm so glad that God loves us so much! 
 
 I will forever love this story because it changed my life, because on this special day I became a Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment